Samsung X06 Reviews

dukzdenkz
By -
0
Samsung X06



Overview and Introduction:


The Samsung X06 is one of a raft of the latest offerings from Samsung. Appear under their coverage "Thin and Light", though I recommend the practice fits in somewhere between "Thin and Light" and "Ultra-Portable". I suspect that Samsung has designed a machine for simple people want performance and CD-RW/DVD stingy in the case of very small 14.1 ". There has been some concessions to achieve this, but they are small compared with the resulting portability and performance gains you can. bring the X06 around town without looking heavy or bulk and yet has a large enough screen and processing power to make greater use applications almost "desktop replacement" experience.



Quick Specs:


Pentium M 740 (1.73 Ghz)
Alviso 915 chipset
512MB RAM
14.1 "XGA display
Weight: 1.98kg (4.4 pounds)
Dimensions: 315mm x 259mm x 25mm (12.4 x 10.2 in x .99 in)
Integrated Intel GMA900 graphics
60GB 5400RPM HDD
Intel 2200 B / G wireless built-in
Microsoft Windows XP Pro

Samsung X06 Reviews

The second largest application I need to run Dreamweaver and Photoshop are either that lend themselves to larger screens and higher-powered notebook. On the other hand, I travel frequently and so I am also looking for something small enough to take the baggage and still continue to have space for other things. I also want to be light enough to give my shoulder a break when lugging around.

I saw some of the lower cost Sony Vaio but there is always a drawback such as only having 256MB of RAM, a slower processor or a 40mm thick case. I'm not saying the Vaio is bad, just that nothing in my price range suited my requirements.

I noticed the Samsung X06 early in my search as a weight of 1.98kg, thickness 25mm (just under 1 inch thick) and the company's Pentium M processor 1.73GHz really caught my eye. I force myself to stop considering this when I found out does not have Bluetooth or infrared and therefore more expensive than other similar spec'd, though larger, machines. I could not justify to my budget. I actually considered a much more reasonable number, but in the end I, impulsive and feeling a bit guilty, .


Build & Design:


There are very few photographs of the engine on the internet and I can not find any reviews so I waited until it was initially worried. However, the fact that Samsung is a respected brand went someway to make me feel better about it.

Opening the box was a relief - the case feels very sturdy magnesium and amazing light and a metal layer looks functional and elegant. The hinge is strong and there is exactly the right amount of friction to open and close the lid. Single lid latch has a small amount of play, even when the lid is closed holding company with no play.
There is a slight flex in the screen, but because it is so slim it no longer outstanding. Encouraging result in a slight rippling behind the scenes and interesting, no matter where I was pushed behind the scenes, rippling always seemed to come from the same place on the left side of the screen. I am a little wary of this, but nothing comes close is concerned enough to consider returning it.

The only downside I can find mechanics is one of the two battery lock. They both clip in firmly and hold the battery firmly in place, but one of them did not have the spring back effect like no other. (That is, how to catch a normal laptop lid will spring back into place after it has been released). Again, this is not enough for me to consider returning it.

Samsung X06 Specification Reviews

Screen:


The XGA 14 "screen with 1024 x 768 has consistent brightness and no dead pixels, although it would not be suitable for those who like the big screen is not quite as sharp as the definition of my previous Dell 510m. That has the SXGA 15" screen and a resolution of 1400 x 1050, but not much in it. There is certainly not enough difference in screen real estate for me to think about it anymore.

Speaker:


The speakers are crap. If you need a good sound from your notebook then look elsewhere. The Dell 510m has a loud speaker and speaker X06 is not even close to them.

Processor and Performance:


I see no hang time on all these machines. It takes 40sec booting to the login screen in XP Pro, but everything else go quickly. I even played "Medal of Honor" a small, first person shoot 'em up, and surprisingly there is no problem on high detail. Therefore, I did not test it thoroughly and, if I do, I expect there are disappointed with the GMA900 integrated graphics option was not the horse for hard core gamers. I'll probably get another half Gig of RAM for Photoshop, but it must be less than 30-pounds.
To get a readout of overall processor performance we use the program Super Pi forces the processor to calculate Pi to 2 million digits of accuracy. Below is the time to run this program for the  X06 and some comparison times from other laptops.
Notebook Time

Keyboard and Touchpad:

Samsung X06 keyboard and touchpad area
The keyboard is great. Compared to other laptops I've used have just the right amount of friction and travel of the keys and the keyboard feels firm in general. The only problem is the placement of the key "Fn" on the outside of the square button "control" the left.

Touch pad is smaller than I'm used to but I do not think it will take longer to get used to. This would also be recessed into the case and this means there is less chance of accidentally hitting while typing - great!
As far as the scroll wheel to go, I'm not so impressed - I could use it, but it's more fiddly than having a scroll bar that joined in for the touch pad.
Input and Output Port:
2 x USB 2 port
1 x 1394 port
There is no parallel port
PCMIA type I & II
Multi-card reader (SD, Memory Stick & Memory Stick Pro)
Monitor and TV output


Wireless:

I can not get the Intel 2200 B / G wireless to work on the driver installed but after downloading another one of Intel's work directly. No Bluetooth and infrared are not - a big drawback for me, but the size of the machine won the day when it comes to a decision.
Samsung notebook X06 Specification Reviews

Samsung notebook X06

Batteries:

It is advertised as 2 hours or more than 4 hours with a larger battery. After the first fully charged battery fades quickly - it used about 50% of the charge in 30 minutes. Since it seems to be getting better from time to time and I now get more than 2 hours advertised. I'll probably get a larger battery at some stage, although I have not found yet how much battery charge.


Operating Systems and Software:

Windows XP Pro is pre-installed and the recovery disk is inserted. Also included is a disc with Nero, driver, Samsung extras and Norton anti virus with license 3 months.

Customer Support:

I use the Samsung UK customer support once when I called to find out more about the machine before purchasing. After a short wait on the phone the person who answered very helpful, knowledgeable and appears biased. As for warranty, I could get two-year extension for 1 year earlier for an additional 125-pounds. This is a European wide collect and return service.


Praise:

I REALLY want a small size and performance of the Samsung X06. Prices, while no budget, still much smaller than other machines that are not significantly better either in form or function.


Conclusion:

The only thing that would improve this machine for me is to add an infrared or Bluetooth and extended battery life for over two hours. I would highly recommend the  X06 as reasonably priced, perfectly sized for mobility and well spec'd for performance to anyone but a serious gamer or a multimedia kind of snobby.

Post a Comment

0Comments

Post a Comment (0)

#buttons=(Ok, Go it!) #days=(20)

Our website uses cookies to enhance your experience. Check Now
Ok, Go it!